Tuesday, September 21, 2010

To what do I attribute this success?

http://shersuccessteams.com/

I continue to receive kudos from my success team members about my facilitation of the group, and about the positive effect of Success Teams generally.

So, for the participant, is it themselves who are doing the work?  Is it me?  The group?  Or all of those?  When we attribute our success to something outside ourselves, do we underestimate our own power?  Or is it true that nothing we do can ever be separate from its environment and context (so personal ownership of it is an illusion in any case)?

There could simply be something magical about the structure of Success Teams.  I could even diverge into the metaphysical for a moment and remember the time I....tried to read Rupert Sheldrake's book A New Science of Life: The Hypothesis of Morphic Resonance.  It was a bit drier than most of the things I take out from the library, and I had a hard time staying with his use of these energy field theories to explain things that probably would have been explained with tangible lab findings since the time the book was written (1970s).

What I did get from the book is the concept of "morphic fields", which might also be described as "the power of ritual".  That anytime a group of people gathers in a certain way, they are calling on the resonant energy of any other group gathering in the same way anywhere in the world as well as anytime throughout history (influence travels across time and space).

Wheee....

4 comments:

  1. She's lying. I never gave her any positive feedback. The others are tired of her dictatorial demeanor and a coup is imminent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those who have not attended, Stuart provides the comic relief in the group.

    I am a little bit dictatorial with the kitchen timer, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comic relief my butt. It's Friday night and I really have worked my behind off to attain my weight goal. All I've eaten so far this week is whey protein, frozen berries, chunk tuna in water, mayonnaise and a variety of herbal teas. I have also been to the gym 3 times so far. I'm going to reach my goal of 175 pounds or die trying.

    This group has genuine chemistry and I believe there are six core members (so far) that have really "clicked" in a way that is hard to define. Yes Barbara Sher was onto something with her success group concept, but a practical application of her concept requires a little bit of "magic" that I think we've been able to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stuart, you have to cut out the mayo. ;o)

    Hey, I'm experiencing the same thing with a group I've joined, and they're not even a Sher-style success team! They're only a bunch of writers who get together to offer each other feedback and support. So this is a group based on a common interest, rather than people with divergent interests who would like to support each other's success.

    Could the "magic" be "commitment"?

    It's pretty damn exciting... It's an exercise for me about "pick a goal, any goal" and start doing it as a practice goal - one of those pieces of advice I picked up from Barbara Sher.

    BTW, another of Sheldrake's book on the same subject is really interesting: "Dogs Who Know Their Owners Are Coming Home."

    It's also a phenomenon of RAS brain chemistry. Once you tag something "significant," you suddenly notice it everywhere - whereas before it wasn't on your list of things to notice so it slipped by.

    ReplyDelete